I just made myself a pair of undies! I’m quite pleased with them.
I just got the latest issue of Ottobre Woman in the mail on Friday. This is the third issue of Ottobre I have received and while I love almost everything in each issue, I have yet to make a single item from their patterns. Partly this is due to my long and constantly growing list of things to sew, but mostly I haven’t tried anything from them yet because the patterns look like this:and the instructions for each item are all less than a page long. I honestly thought sewing from these magazines would be very frustrating, so I decided to start with something small. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I really like the lack of guidance. Instead of staring at detailed instructions for hours before giving up and just doing what seems logical, I just do what seems logical. Less frustration, less time. It’s great.
In less than a couple of hours from start to finish, I have my first Ottobre creation and my first ever pair of handmade undies.
I am very excited about how easy they were to make. I also learned how to use my twin needle on my sewing machine, which I used to stitch the elastic casing on the waistband.
I used fold over elastic in the leg openings. I had vague recollections of this post and this post from the Angry Chicken and I must have mixed them up in my head because somehow, I thought she had used FOE on her underwear. After the fact, I was looking around on her blog and couldn’t find any evidence of this and now think I just mis-remembered, but whatever, it worked very well for me and now I have decided that FOE is my new BFF too.
I can’t wait to make more of these. They use so little fabric, it would be a great way to recycle some of my old t-shirts. I also can’t wait to try out some more Ottobre designs, now that I’ve discovered how liberating a lack of detailed instructions can be.